Posted in Health on October 21, 2012
Electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes or e-cigs are electronic smoking devices that mimic cigarettes. They consist of batteries and filters that allow the user to inhale whatever flavor and level of nicotine that they choose. Instead of smoke, the devices deliver a vapor into the users’ lungs.
1. Electronic cigarettes are safer than traditional cigarettes. They mix water with artificial flavorings and nicotine, if the user chooses a cartridge with nicotine. That is all a user inhales, as opposed to the dozens of carcinogens in tobacco cigarettes.
2. Electronic cigarettes can help smokers give up the habit. They come in multiple strengths, so smokers can start with a high level of nicotine and slowly work their way down to no nicotine. The patch does roughly the same thing, but without the added sensations of smoking that e-cigs offer.
3. When it comes to the environment, cigarettes are gross. Used filters litter the ground virtually everywhere there are people. The smoke goes into the air every time a person smokes. Electronic cigarettes eliminate the litter and the smoke. When the parts are recycled properly, they eliminate unnecessary waste too.
4. Cigarettes stink. There is no getting around it. They make people, cars, clothes, breath and homes smell like stale smoke. Because there is no smoke in electronic cigarettes, there is no odor.
5. In some areas, cigarettes are taxed so heavily that they are $10 or more a pack. Most electronic cigarettes cost much less than this after the initial purchase of a starter kit including chargers and batteries.
6. Because there are no harmful toxins in electronic cigarettes, the vapor is not dangerous for people near smokers. Therefore, secondhand smoke problems are eliminated. Of course, most cartridges contain nicotine, which can be harmful and should be kept out of reach of children.
7. The bottom line is that electronic cigarettes do not cause cancer. It is not exaggeration to say that millions of lives could be saved if every smoker switched to electronic cigarettes or just quit.
8. The telltale yellowing of smokers’ teeth happens over time. Electronic cigarettes do not have the same effect. To be fair, they are relatively new, so long term effects on teeth are not well known, but it seems unlikely that water and flavoring will do any harm that brushing cannot prevent, if they do any harm at all.
9. Barring a major manufacturing problem, an electronic cigarette cannot burn anyone. If you’ve ever been burned by a cigarette, you know how much of a relief this would be. No more hot cinders either!
10. Electronic cigarettes help reduce the amount of lighters and matches in people’s homes. Electronic cigarettes have shown that they are superior to traditional cigarettes in nearly every way. Smokers will surely find it at least mildly difficult to switch to them, but will also start reaping health benefits within hours of making the change.
If you’re interested in making a healthier switch, learn The Ins and Outs of the Ecig.